2016-2017 Augusta University Graduate and Professional Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Master of Science in Nursing with a Major in Clinical Nurse Leader - Post BSN Track
The Clinical Nurse Leader Program prepares nurses to be clinical leaders with the skills to thrive in the current and future health care system while striving to improve client outcomes and reduce health care costs. The program is for registered nurses with a baccalaureate degree. Tailored for the non-traditional nursing student, the CNL program is offered completely on-line. Students can choose part-time or full-time study.
The CNL program will prepare licensed clinicians with the essential knowledge and skills necessary for completion of the CNL certification examination and to receive a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN). The CNL graduate is considered an advanced generalist (not an advanced practice nurse) and will possess nursing knowledge, comprehension of the infrastructure of the health care system, clinical decision-making skills, resource management strategies, and the ability to manage complex information.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with a BSN degree
- A minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 2.80 on 4.0 scale is required and a minimum overall graduate GPA of 2.80 on a 4.0 scale if applicable.
- Applicants who earned less than a “C” in two or more courses in their Nursing program will not be considered for admission.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary education
- GRE (see minimum scores below) or MAT (400 minimum) taken within the last 5 years.
- GRE prior to August 1, 2011: official GRE score of 900 or higher (combined Verbal and Quantitative scores)
- GRE after August 1, 2011: official GRE score of 290 or higher (combined Verbal and Quantitative scores)
- Completion of required USG core curriculum with a C or better (augusta.edu/nursing/undergraduate/prerequisites) to include:
- Chemistry with lab- 4 hours
- Statistics- 3 hours
- General Psychology- 3 hours
- Microbiology- included in Area F - must be completed within the last 10 years
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II- included in Area F - must be completed within the last 10 years
- Human Growth & Development- included in Area F
These may be completed at any accredited institution.
- 1000 hours of clinical practice in the last four years OR have graduated from an accredited BSN program within the last four years
- Three professional or academic letters of reference
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Proof of unrestricted RN license from state where applicant is practicing at time of application. Proof of current unrestricted Georgia RN license is required prior to enrollment.
- Current BCLS/CPR certification
- Essay addressing experience and autobiographical information (included on application)
- Personal Interview
- If applicable, TOEFL of 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 interent-based
- An official, professional course-by-course evaluation (based on official transcripts and documents) is required for all foreign educational transcripts and documents from one of the following three credentials evaluation services: Josef Silny & Associated, Inc., World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE). Official transcript evaluations based on unofficial transcripts, documents, or copies will not fulfill this requirement.
Goals of the program are to prepare:
- nurses that create an environment of clinical excellence that results in improved outcomes.
- clinical decision-makers.
- nurses that become engaged in peer practice and the interdisciplinary health care team.
- leaders who facilitate and assure individualized, evidence-based, and highly effective care to patients and families.