Dec 07, 2023
The teacher preparation programs at Augusta University place a strong emphasis on “hands-on” experiences with professional educators in actual classroom settings. Students should expect a field experience as a part of most courses in the preparation process. Clinical and field experiences are monitored for each student to insure that they have had the opportunity to work with diverse populations in a wide variety of educational levels and settings.
|Dr. Jessica Simpson
For more information on admissions requirements, please visit the Office of Admissions website. https://www.augusta.edu/admissions/
Progression & Graduation Requirements
- Due to the sensitive nature of working with children in the public schools, the Department of Public Safety at Augusta University will conduct a background review of all students at three specific points in the preparation program. The first check will be made as part of enrollment in EDUC 2110 - Investigating Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education (3 Credit Hours) . Only students who present a record free of criminal and/or disciplinary activity will be allowed to enter a public school classroom. The second check will be made as part of the admission to Teacher Education process. The third check will be made as a prerequisite to entering the student teaching experience. Students who are admitted to the student teaching experience must have a record free of criminal and/or disciplinary activity.
- In addition to classroom seat time, all Special Education courses have a required 25-hour field experience with P-12 students.
- All course work must be successfully completed prior to student teaching.
- All candidates must complete the edTPA assessment during their student teaching semester.
Core Areas A - E: 42 Hours
For more information on Core Curriculum Areas A-E, see Core Requirements .
Content Concentration: 9 Hours
You must select one concentration from the list below: Mathematics, Language Arts, Social Studies, or Science. It is highly recommended that Mathematics or Language Arts is selected as one area of content concentration.
1000 and 2000 options: 6 hours
With your advisor, chose from the 1000 and 2000 options in Math, Language Arts, Science, or Social Science in your selected content concentration.
Select one content concentration course from the list below with your advisor’s approval: 3 Hours
Mathematics Concentration should select from the following:
Language Arts Concentration should select from the follow:
Social Studies Concentrations can select from any ANTH, ECON, GEOG, HIST, PHIL, POLS, PSYC, or SOCI not already selected in a course of study:
Recommended: HIST 3012 , HIST 3111 , HIST 3211 , HIST 3431 , HIST 3711 , HIST 3811 , HIST 4111 , HIST 4391 , POLS 3101 , POLS 4902 , POLS 4904
Science Concentration can select from any Science course not already selected in a course of study:
Recommended: ASTR 1000 and BIOL 1107 and CHEM 1211 or BIOL 1108 , BIOL 2111 , BIOL 2112 , BIOL 4100 , CHEM 1151 , CHEM 1212 , GEOG 1112 , GEOL 1121 , GEOL 1122 , PHSC 1011 , PHYS 1111 , PHYS 1112
Degree Requirements: 60 Hours
Choose 3 courses from the recommended listed below: 9 hours
These courses should be selected with your advisor with a focus on improving your instruction and content knowledge.
- ELED 3271 , ELED 4322 , ENGL 3330 , MATH 3261 , MATH 3262 , MATH 3263 , MGED 3222
- Or any ANTH, ECON, ENGL, GEOG, HIST, MATH, PHIL, POLS, PSYC, SOCI, or Science course not previously taken as a part of the core or area F.
Student Teaching: 15 Hours
Wellness Graduation Requirement: 4 Hours
Students who transfer to Augusta University with less than 60 credit hours must complete the Wellness Requirement.
Total Hours for the Degree: 124 Hours