2019-2020 Augusta University Catalog
Bachelor of Science with a major in Biology
The major in Biology provides a broad education in the fundamentals of biology via the classroom setting and through hands-on learning in laboratories and at field sites. The curriculum prepares students for graduate school and professional programs such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, and related fields. To enhance professional development and employment potential, students are encouraged to obtain specialized training by participating in basic and applied research in ecology, genetics, microbiology, plant physiology, aquatic biology, cell and molecular biology, physiology, cancer biology, and more.
For more information on admissions requirements, please visit the Office of Admissions website.
Progression & Graduation Requirements
- Double or triple majors, or major-minor combinations, that combine Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, and/or Ecology are not permitted.
- A grade of C or better is required in all Area F, Required Lower Division, Major Concentration, and Upper Division Elective courses.
- Satisfactory Completion of the ETS Major Field Test
- If a student does not successfully complete a biology course after two attempts (i.e., he/she receives a D, F, W, or WF), the student will be limited to specific registration times for any subsequent attempts. Any student meeting these criteria will not be allowed to register for the course until the last day of late registration. Appeals may be made to the Chair of the Department of Biological Sciences in hardship cases.
- Major Concentration hours & Upper Elective hours must total at least 39 hours.