2012-2013 Georgia Regents University Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Doctor of Dental Medicine
General Career Information
A career in dentistry can provide many exciting and rewarding opportunities. Some of the advantages of a career in dentistry include:
- Independence of owning and operating your own business
- Challenge as a healthcare provider
- Opportunity to serve others
- Flexibility of living anywhere you’d like
- Options to teach and/or conduct research
- Satisfaction of knowing you play a vital role in your community
If these advantages are attractive to you, a career in dentistry may be right for you.
Most dentists are self-employed and establish a private practice alone or in partnership with other dentists. Other career options include public health, academia and the military. Some dentists complete advanced training after earning their dental degrees to specialize in areas such as orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontology or other areas.
After completing the DMD program, the new dentist is expected to:
- Recognize and provide for the oral health needs of the people of Georgia, the region and the nation.
- Deliver contemporary and efficient high quality oral healthcare.
- Conduct themselves in an ethical manner and appreciate the need for life long learning.